I, along with 5 of our region’s state chairs and all our technical chairs, went to Indianapolis to a meeting on February 28 with USA Gymnastics. We had a two day meeting with 76 other state, regional, and national chairman, from all over the country, USA Gymnastics new CEO Kerry Perry and USA Gymnastics Women’s programs National staff members of USAG.
This meeting was very informative. We came away from the meeting with renewed confidence that USA Gymnastics is doing the right things to correct past errors. We also believe their plan moving forward will make USA Gymnastics better than ever! Greater communication with athletes, clubs, coaches, parents, and judges has already began and more will start soon.
This is a statement from the 88 volunteer chairman that met February 28, 2018 in Indianapolis:
- USA Gymnastics holds the highest standard of care for athletes and members.
- We have the desire to rebuild and to move forward.
- We have the opportunity right now, in the history of USA Gymnastics, in our sport, and in our country, to lead, saying, we are going to get it right. By doing that, we will honor our athletes who have been impacted and we will honor all USA Gymnastics members and participants, including, but not limited to, athletes, coaches, parents, judges, and volunteers.
- We will not be the organization that shuts the doors, changes the name, and puts a new face on the same institution.
At the end of the day, we have an opportunity to improve USA Gymnastics. We have an obligation to meet the challenge that has been set before us and to become a better organization. It is about sharing positive gymnastics stories and getting it right.
88 Women’s Program USA Gymnastics National, Regional, and State leaders stood today to support USA Gymnastics.
Here are some of the highlights of the meeting:
- Athlete Assistance fund has been set up to assist affected athletes
- Athlete Task Force has been set up to help shape our future
- The Ranch training center has been closed and USA gymnastics is working to set up a world class Training center for all the disciplines of USA gymnastics
- Kerry Perry, CEO has set up and attended listening forums at clubs around the country with coaches, athletes, parents and professional members to discuss safe sport and ideas for the future of USA gymnastics
We would love to have your positive thoughts to help us move forward. We can not let the bad press from Nassar define who we are and take away all of the positive things that our sport provides. Be a part of making our sport better than it has ever been.
Region 4 RACC